Tuesday 30 August 2011

Part VI "East Bound And Down"

The morning alarm received a sharp curse word and had the snooze button smacked for it's trouble. I must have needed the extra shut-eye because I lingered in and out of consciousness for the next forty-five minutes. Yesterday's long hot ride left me feeling drained. I crawl out of bed and hit the shower. Now I was awake I ventured a peak outside through the window. The day was bright and sunny with not a cloud in the sky. A quick cup of tea and an orange and I was good to go.

After pre-tripping the bike, habits die hard, I jumped onto I-435 which skirts the eastern perimeter of Kansas City and threaded my way into the morning commuters. I was going against traffic so in no time I was passing Royal Stadium and merged onto I-70 East heading for St. Louis. The Missouri countryside rolled by and was pleasant to view. It reminded me a lot of Southern Ontario with the undulating farmland and stands of maple trees. Chatting with a fellow during a gas stop I learned the landscape is not always as friendly. A week before he showed me where a twister had ripped the siding and trashed the huge overhead sign of the McDonalds across the street. He went on to say passing motorists abandoned their cars and ran into his store to seek shelter. It seems Missourians don't second guess tornadoes. Note to self: Keep an eye on the sky and get to shelter fast.

The V-Strom gobbled up the miles like a hungry bear, I crossed the Missouri River and was soon approaching St. Louis. The traffic had increased considerably and it was going fast. It was something like driving the freeways around Montreal. The drivers are fast, crazy and it's everyone for themselves. I-70 goes right through the heart of the city where we soon came to a grinding halt. Traffic was snarled, people were honking and the GPS was throwing out detour suggestions. I scouted the scene and saw it was only some road work, three lanes were converging into one, however; it was stressing the locals to no end. Now me being a Vancouverite I had no problem dealing with construction traffic snarls, being squished into one lane and sitting needlessly. Hey! I'm used to it and for a moment it felt like home! The traffic soon sped up as I passed The Gateway To The West arch and next crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois. I was now officially in the East!

I-64 led me to I-57 which swung south and continued to roll along through farmland, the odd small town and crossed the Ohio River. That's three big rivers in one day. On the other side of the Ohio River I paused for a stretch at a roadside rest area and took a few photos. Later down the road I looked down at my side carriers and noticed something missing. Stopping to investigate I discovered the jacket to my rain suit was gone. I keep the rain suit close at hand as you never know when you will need it and evidently the turbulence had blown it free and it was gone. A couple of years ago Norm Ingram, my oftentimes touring buddy, and I were riding through eastern Oregon on our way to Idaho when I shifted my weight and my trusty sheepskin seat cover blew out from under me, much like a waiter snapping a tablecloth out from under the dishes, glasses and cutlery. The hapless hide went airborne over Norm's head and off into the ditch; all this at seventy miles per hour. I walked back about half a mile and I never did find the sheepskin. It seems every trip something goes missing.



                                                     The Ohio River

Crossing the Kentucky state line I was tired and looking for an early night so I  entered "Hotel" into the GPS and presto! Up came a few suggestions and one to my liking was just down the road about twenty-five kms. Perfect! I called it day spent a quiet evening in Paducha, Kentucky. Yeah I know. I'd never heard of it either.

Good night.

It's now Friday, the 26th and I'm up early. Today's path is I-24 to Nashville and then I-40 to Knoxville, my destination for this leg of the trip.

This morning's pre-trip revealed a startling find. My rear tire had a wear stripe down the centre much like a skunk's back. I knew the tire had sixty percent life when I left Vancouver and planned on buying new tires later, most likely in Boston or New York. This was a surprise but as the blind old Master said to Kwai Chang Caine in Kung-Fu, "Ahh Grasshopper. Always expect the unexpected". I got on the phone to three bike shops; one close by in Clarksville, one in Nashville and another in Knoxville. The best I could come up with was the guy in Knoxville who had the rear tire in stock and could order me the front one; I always change them at the same time. He could have it by Tuesday. This sent my plans for a skid, however; it was the only game for the moment and it looked like I had no choice. Now I was going to be staying the weekend with friends in Knoxville but this would extend me two additional days and I didn't want to outstay my welcome. All the way to Knoxville, which was a wonderful ride by the way, Tennessee roads are in tip-top condition and the drivers are courteous, the tire was fine and I was relaxed and singing along with the sound of the highway. .

On the west side of Knoxville I get on the web, (love my IPhone) and find another Suzuki dealer. He has the tires in the sizes I need, oh and yes he'd be happy to put them on for me first thing Saturday morning and do an oil change while I'm there. Friendly, helpful guy. If you're ever in Knoxville and need service on your Suzuki, Ducati, Triumph go see the guys at Ultimate Motorsports.

The last few miles are gone and I'm coasting into Trey and Kathy's driveway. It's great seeing them again! We have a couple of cold refreshing beverages, pile into Trey's truck and we're off to a local brew-pub for dinner. The first leg of the trip is under my belt and I'm relaxed and looking forward to the weekend with Trey and Kathy where we'll no doubt be doing some local sightseeing on our bikes.

Ah. Bliss.

2 comments:

  1. Hello.

    I'm curious. Is anyone actually reading this blog? I know Google sometimes makes it difficult to post comments but I'd be interested to hear if anyone does visit this site. If you can't post a comment please drop me a line at steviebee16@gmail.com

    Thank you,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, for everything material thing you have "lost", your being rewarded with experiences beyond measure...i'm sitting here thinking "how soon can i get my hands on a touring bike and do this?"
    Better writing than that old sod Peart! No offense Neil...i'm not in your band, i'm in Stevie's.

    Stay safe brother. Miss you.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete