Thursday 11 August 2011

Part I "In The Beginning"

Where to start is always a dilemma. Logically one would start at the beginning, however; it isn't always the case. This story started a long time ago and and will hopefully continue on for some time to come.

I have always had a passion for motorcycles. Sputtering dirt bikes, slick roadsters and now touring machines. Motorcycles have taken me through parts of Australia and extensively throughout Western Canada and the United States. As far as I'm concerned the further the destination the better the trip! From my home in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Vancouver for you non-locals, motorcycles have taken me to destinations throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Washington, Oregon, California, many trips to Nevada, which is one of my all time favourite places, also Montana, Idaho, and Arizona. Some have been in the heat of of the desert's summer to the winter rains and biting winds of the Pacific North-West. No season has been too rugged. No destination too far.

In June 2010 my son and I were camping in Utah. Looking at a map of North America it struck me I had never ridden coast to coast. West Coast to East Coast, Pacific to Atlantic and back again. I suppose this was when the plan was hatched. Fortunately I had lots of vacation time in the summer months the following year. I had a tip-top motorcycle, a few bucks in the bank and the desire to go. That's about all it took. Done deal.

The winter months found me poring over maps and ride guides. What is the fastest? What is the most scenic? Having done extensive riding throughout the west, I decide to get as far east as quickly as possible. OK now that was decided what is the route? One idea was visit friends in Knoxville Tennessee. OK. Put that on the list. Another "To-Do" was return to Cape Cod, Massachusetts, site of my childhood summers and meet up with my Brother and Sister-In-Law for some beach time. After that the itinerary is pretty much wide open and remains so to this day. I have added a stop in Southern Alberta to hook up with an old high school chum now living in Calgary and who may ride along with me for a day.

So, it appears I have a plan...of sorts. Ride through Southern Albert to the Cypress Hills of Saskatchewan, south into Montana, cut the North-East corner off Wyoming and into Rapid City. After that it's point 'er south into Nebraska, Missouri, and eastward into Tennessee Next it's ride the Blue Ridge Parkway north-east through Virginia. After that I'll slip into Delaware, follow the New Jersey shoreline up to New York City and then it's a skip and a jump to Brewster Mass. for a week with family.

Coming home presents a couple of options. Ultimately I'd like to continue north to Nova Scotia and experience Cape Breton Island. The Cabot Trail which follows the perimeter of the island is rated one of the top motorcycle destinations in North America and the world. Since I'll be in the neighbourhood, so to speak, it would be a shame to miss this golden opportunity. After that I have a hankering to ride up to the Gaspe Peninsula and follow the shore line all the way round and end up at Riviere du Loup, Quebec. There is a ferry service that crosses the Saint Lawrence River to the North shore. This side of the river has much more appeal to a scenery junkie. The rambling Hwy 138 provides a more gentle alternative to the teeth gnashing Hwy 20 on the south side. Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto and westward home. Sounds like a plan....of sorts

Let us consider the viability of such a plan. Scenery-wise it will not fail to deliver. The only variable is the weather. It will be mid to late September and the weather could prove unpredictable. The eternal optimist in me hopes for the traditional Canadian Indian Summer, when the trees with be ablaze in their autumn finery. Crisp cool nights and warm sunny days will make for wonderful riding. On the other hand this area is also know for fierce winters and lots of snow. It is unlikely a snowfall should hit in September, but we're talking about Eastern Canada and the weather gods have a bagful of tricks. If this is the case I'll have no choice but to turn southward, perhaps as far as Washington D.C. and point the bike west from there. This may not be a bad thing either because that will give me a day or so kill at The Smithsonian and the National Gallery. My preference does, however; lie with the Canadian route.

So friends and readers, this is the plan. Warts and all. I will endeavour to write a daily entry and upload it wherever and whenever I can get web access. Before I depart on August 20th I will add another entry or two to discuss the three Ps; planning, packing and preparedness.

Please read along and feel free post any comments.

Come with me on this Motorcycle Odessey.



6 comments:

  1. You go Stevie
    I will be watching ya from afar.Sounds like you have it all under control. Have a great time. Ride safe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don´t know who you are, but I envy you for your guts, will, determination, planning prowess, love of nature and beautiful places, time you´re taking to do something special. But most of all..... The adventure itself. Ri(de)ght on Mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Steve, I'm gonna try again to post something here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela West-Roots12 August 2011 at 13:25

    hey Steve, you have a great way with words, lookin' forward to "following" you, sounds like your trip's gonna be big fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. have fun buddy & stay safe (avoid the buffets, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. You have the gift of expression on paper. Im thinking I want a bike again!! Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete